Friday, May 1, 2009

OUR FIRST CHRISTMAS SEASON!

It was very close to our first Christmas together that my sister, husband and year old son came to visit us. They hadn't seen our apartment and us since we had gotten married. So this was a special Christmas season.

We had gone to church that evening and stopped by to pick up some bakery doughnuts to eat with coffee. While preparing the coffee and setting the table for the evening snack, I took a look at the doughnuts and felt strangely sick at my stomach. This was really unusual for me, since I had a cast iron stomach and doughnuts were one of my favorite snack food. I couldn't quite figure it out, but my sister seemed to be wiser and thought perhaps she knew what was wrong.

Yep!!! You have that same wise streak that she had that day, I can tell!!!!!

Her guess was--that I was pregnant! Well, this wasn't quite a scheduled event, so I dismissed it
as a "bug" I picked up. Well that "bug" didn't go away and sure enough when I went to the doctor he informed me that we would have a child the last of July of the next year.

We had wanted a child, but wanted to be married at least a year and then try. Well, our first child was born 1 year, 2 months after we were married.

I was working and we were living in a one bedroom apartment, and we thought it wise to look for a house to purchase.

I continued to work a few months into the new year, until I was definitely showing. I quit my job to get ready for the new arrival. General Motors wanted me to take a leave of absence and come back after the child was born, but I opted to stay home and be a stay-at-home mother.

This decision was one that I have never regretted. I don't have any problems with other mothers working, but I knew it was right for me. (Later in my writings, I will tell you how I came back into the work force after many a year passed by).

Now this was quite a new experience, as I had not been really around small children much. Remember that I was about the youngest one in our community growing up, so didn't have much experience. I did a little babysitting before I was married, but they had the babies always in bed before they took off for the evening.

It seemed that I never quite got over morning sickness. My complete diet seemed to change. What food I liked prior, I didn't like anymore. I weighed a few pounds less going into the hospital than my normal weight. Go figure!!! My choice of diet had completely reversed. The doctor wasn't alarmed about it, so I wasn't either.

Wisdom--In Psalm 139:13-16 it says--"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfuly and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

No comments: