Wednesday, November 18, 2009

BOOK RECOMMENDATION!!

I have just finished reading, the first book in a series of books, "AN UNTAMED LAND" by Lauraine Snelling--"Red River of the North" (series I). My sister is one book ahead of me and my husband is just starting to read the series, also.

It is about an immigrant family that came over legally to this country to stake out a claim for a piece of land in Dakota territory. It tells about the hardships that they encountered. Since my grandparents homesteaded in Nebraska, it really brings their life and what they had to endure to the forefront.

When you read it, I'm sure you will have a new appreciation of what our forefathers went through and struggles they encountered just to have a roof over their head, food on the table, and clothes on their back.

Wisdom--One learns what hard work is and how by the sweat of their brows our forefathers forged out this great land of ours. This scene was duplicated over and over again. Some of the ones that set out to homestead didn't have the stamina to continue. What courage these people had and what determination they had to try to make a better living for their family. Guard our country and its founding principles.

No comments: