Saturday, November 22, 2008

SHEEP SHEERING!

I had mentioned that we raised sheep when I was growing up and about my pet lamb named "tootsie". Today, I will tell you about each spring they had to be sheered.

They had a thick coat of wool that needed to be taken off before the summer heat started beating down on them.

Dad had a clipper that he would clip off their wool about the first part of May. He could almost take all of their coat of wool off in one swoop. He would have them lay down and start clipping until all of it was off. It was just like taking off a wool coat. I'm sure it felt a little breezy right at first for these sheep, when the spring would have a cool spell.

My mother would wash the wool and then in the winter months she would make wool comforters out of this wool. Since our bedrooms weren't very warm, we were really cozy warm under all these wool comforters.

A metal comb or wire brush would help untangle and fluff up the wool. This was our job whenever we lacked something to do. I'm sure we got tired of this job quickly, but I do remember doing a little of it.

Todays wisdom--When Jesus comes into your life, He changes everything. Our rough edges must be chipped away to bring out the image of Christ.

No comments: