Friday, November 7, 2008

ENCOUNTER WITH A COW AND HER NEW BORN CALF!

When I was not doing my chores, I was usually outside enjoying the fresh air, riding my bicycle, etc. This day was no exception. I was outside playing and my brother was carrying a new born calf in his arms that was born in the field. The cow was following close behind watching over her calf. Seeing me close by, he called to me to open the barn door (so he wouldn't have to lay the calf down). I quickly started running toward the barn door to make this happen.

Well, the cow thought I was a predator and was going to harm her little new born. She started running after me. I tried to run faster and toward the hayrack to get under it. Even though I could run pretty fast (especially when I was scared), I didn't escape the fiery mad cow. She butted me over and she turned around and started to gore me. My brother came to my rescue chasing that cow away. My "hero" that day for sure.

The cow did do a little damage, however. I developed a large bruise the side of a muskmelon on my thigh. In the few seconds it took to butt me over, the cow managed to step on me.

My lesson for the day was--DO NOT MESS WITH MAMA AND HER NEW BORN!!

We are going to bag the leaves up again in the back yard today. We have gotten 53 bags so far off of our lawn this year. The back yard is just covered again and lots more up on the tree.

No comments: