Friday, November 14, 2008

MANY HO-BOES AND GYPSIES IN THOSE DAYS!

There were many men that rode the rails to look for work or just out of a job and tried to exist during my growing up years. They came to our house on many occasions, since they would get off at a rail switching station only half mile from our home. My dad and mother both agreed that no matter who or what they looked like, they would feed them. I'm sure there were never a hungry soul that came to our house that was ever turned away. My mother would stop what she was doing and fix them a hearty meal (even if it was just a good breakfast). I'm sure my mother identified with these people, because of her early experience of nearly starving to death as her parents took her and the rest of the family in a covered wagon to homestead in Nebraska (the year was 1887). She was 9 months old when this happened. They lived on the land in Nebraska for 9-11 years. This was in compliance with the Homestead Act that they had to live and improve the land for a certain amount of years, and then the land was theirs to keep.

The thing that each ho-bo would do as they left the premises, was make a mark on the road gate leading to the house. This told other poor souls where to find food. The spread of the Gospel is like this--One begger telling another begger where they can find food for their soul. They were never disappointed with what was given them. This brings tears to my eyes yet to this day!

One day my brother and I was playing in the sand by the roadgate and my brother told me to look up. I did and there stood a ho-bo that was so pitiful that it scared me so much. I couldn't run fast enough to the house.

I remember gypsies coming by and camping down by the switching station about half mile away. We were always leary of these people as they were prone to steal. I remember witnessing a gypsy approaching my grandfather and frisking him to see if he had money. I will never forget this.

Wisdom of the day--Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unaware.

1 comment:

Berjo said...

Maybe some of those hobos were angels from God. I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa always showed them love!
Mary