Thursday, November 13, 2008

ENTREPRENEUR (OR AT LEAST FIRST PAYING JOB!!

I mentioned that my father didn't have a tractor until later in 1930's. My sister said that he had a tractor in 1929 she was sure. Later they purchased 3 tractors.

When I was old enough I had the job of herding the cows along the roadside of our farm. This was when the drought was on and you used every green blade of grass you could get. My dad paid me a penny and hour to do this task. Before you start feeling sorry for me, let me set you straight. When you were getting 10 cents on a bushel of grain, a penny was worth more in those years. Also, I was making money when I was playing on my bicycle. All I had to do was turn the cows around when they grazed to the end of our land. By the 4th of July I had saved up $2.00 and blew it all on rides, etc. The rides were like 5 to 10 cents. My first shot at being an entrepreneur!

When I was in high school I typed the high school and grade school tests papers for the year for the teachers. I got the grand total of $1 a month. I wanted the experience and thought it an honor that they trusted me with these papers.

My dad would give us 5 cents everytime we were in town to buy candy, etc. My friends would have to stand and beg for their spending money. Needless to say, I thought my dad was about "IT". He told us later that he wanted us to have something to spend and not be tempted to steal. He prepared us for the real world.

The farm was really a great place to live when times were rough. When people were out of work in town, they had nothing and the cubboard was bare. In our club meeting, a lady was telling about at supper time they would rattle the dishes, so people would think they were fixing supper. There was no food to eat and they were ashamed and wanted the other tenants in the house to think at least they were eating. (This lady lives in a beautiful home today and you would have never guessed how destitute they were in those early years in the depression).

Wisdom for the day--Impossibilities compel us to rely on God.

No comments: