Tuesday, October 28, 2008

WATER SOURCE AND BATHROOM???

No we did not have running water in the our house, but we did run to get it from the well outside. It was a windmill and later there was a power motor attached to it to pump water. The pump had to be primed to bring the water up from the well.

We had very hard water and it wouldn't cook beans, so whenever our family wanted to cook a pot of beans (Winter wash-day meal) we had to go to our neighbors to the East of us and get some of their water which happened to be softer (different well source). When there were a lot of chickens to clean or /vegetables to clean we carried bucket after bucket of water into the house. (This was usually was my job) However, my mother would warn me not to carry only a half a bucket at a time because of health problems that develop with girls lifting too much. This was preventive medicine so we wouldn't get her health problems. (a fallen bladder)

We did have a wash room and it had a pump that pumped water from our cistern. It was water that collected after rains. We had to prime that pump to bring up water so we could get soft water to wash with or do laundry. Everyday we had to keep the reservoir on the cookstove filled so we would have hot water to wash our face, etc. The cookstove kept the water hot at all times.
This water wasn't pure to drink. It was so soft that washing ones hair or clothes was made easier to do.

We had no plumbing or bathtub or stool. Our bathroom was a path leading out to the outhouse.
This was a mighty cold trip in the winter and one didn't stay too long. We didn't use toilet paper but the Sears Roebuck Catalog. We did have a large pot to go inside for nighttime use. This had to be taken out daily to the outhouse and dumped and cleaned out. I do remember getting chased by a rooster on the way to the outhouse. I was barefooted and this rooster thought my toes were worms. I was quite afraid of that bird!!!

Bathtime was around the old woodburning stove. I was the first to get a bath in the galvanized tub and then my sister and brother got their bath. I was the youngest and went to bed earlier. I still remember this ritual.

How grateful that we have a bathroom with running water and plumbing now. PTL

Wisdom for the day--Jesus said "Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thrist; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:14

3 comments:

Berjo said...

Mom-
Why would the beans not cook in hard water? Our water is hard but I still cook beans? Did it just taste better in their water?
Just wondering.
mary

Observer said...

Yeah, I was wondering about that too! Gary

neumo_rus said...

Hi--Really hard water will not cook beans and I don't know why. I know for a fact that they would get the neighbor's water to the East of their farm.