Friday, October 31, 2008

BAKING BREAD/ROLLS-BAKING IN GENERAL!

We went to the dentist today and Grandpa's growth turned out to be benign.

I wanted to tell you about how my parents preserved root veggies. My dad would dig a hole big enough to bury the veggies. He would put straw at the bottom and then the veggies and then straw over all of it. We could get turnips, carrots, parsnips, etc along time after harvest by just digging and removing some of the straw. This kept them from freezing. Also, earlier I had mentioned my dad would get a truck load of peaches from Southern Illinois. My mother would put up about 9 bushels, but the rest would be for the neighbors peach supply. The pineapples my mother canned were produce that was purchased.

My mother would start early in the morning before we left for school to make her dough for bread/rolls. She made about 6 loaves to one pan. The pans she used to make rolls and bread just fit perfectly in the oven. This bread would be coming out of the oven just about when we would get home from school. We would run all the way home, knowing that it was baking bread/roll day. She always saved starter yeast over from each bread making and used the potato water for her liquid in the bread. The cinnamon rolls and carmel rolls were absolutely heavenly when we would get home from school. I don't remember ever buying bread during the 30's. Now homemade breads are a luxury, but then it was the norm.

She would make beautiful angel food cakes and save the yolks to make noodles. Sour cream chocolate cake, pan cookies, oatmeal cookies, jelly rolls were just a few of the homemade goodies that came out of the oven.

Pies of all kinds were made and real lard was used for the pie crusts. My favorite pie was sour cream apple pie. I have never found a recipe that tasted like her pie (and I have looked for it often) . Now this pie was one to write home about that she made on a regular basis. Others were Raspberry, gooseberry, apple, peach were made often. Since we had plenty of milk, eggs and cream she would make custard pie a lot.

You wonder how we could consume all of this food. What you might not know, but dad hired men to help him farm more than 400 acres (I think it was 460 acres of land). This was before he purchased tractors and farmed the land with horses. So my mother had hired hands to feed as well as her own family.

Popcorn was grown and we popped corn a lot for snacks. Fudge was made and real black walnuts were put in it.

Wisdom for the day--John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, "I am the bread of life; he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."

No comments: