Thursday, October 23, 2008

CENTRAL HEATING?????

Oh yeh--Our heating consisted of a wood/coal burning cookstove in the kitchen and a wood/coal burning stove in the family area. The kind that you froze on the backside and burned up in the frontside. At night dad would try to stoke the stove a little so he wouldn't have to start from scratch in the morning. By morning there would be very little embers left and we were tucked under a pile of wool comforters and did not want to get out of bed. My sister and I did have a room directly above the stove with a vent to our room. If we waited long enough some of the heat would filter upstairs. Then we would get dressed in the morning standing over the vent. During the night we would have frost on our covers. We really roughed it, but to this day I love camping (which we don't do anymore because of the work involved).

I have fond memories of dad slinging me over his shoulder and tucking me into bed upstairs. He would always take me to the mirror and let me look at myself and off to bed I would go hanging like a gunnysack up to bed.

correction from yesterday--My sister said that my mother did have a miscarriage right after she had gotten caught in the washing machine belt, but the baby would have been still born because the baby had been dead for quite awhile prior to this event.

Thoughts on Wisdom--"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV

2 comments:

The Redouteys said...

I like that image of your dad slinging you over his shoulder! That's so sad about your mom miscarrying too! Things I'm learning. Trying to catch up on your stories tonight.
Love, Amber

Berjo said...

Grandpa sounds like a great dad. I think you were poor----but rich in all the ways that count.
Mary